Your front door is the gateway to your home, and as such, it needs to send out the right message.
You need to choose a front door that reflects the style and character of your property and gives off the right impression to guests.
But similarly, you want and need to make sure that your front door deters the wrong kind of visitors and prevents unwanted access.
So where do you start when it comes to buying a new front door?
Here are some of the options you have available to you and some of the things you should consider when buying a new front door.
There are several materials available for your new front door, each one offering its own benefits.
uPVC is the traditional go-to choice for many homeowners and it’s easy to see why. uPVC combines contemporary style with durability and affordability, without compromising on security.
Some of the key benefits of uPVC include:
- High security, with multi-point locking systems and a robust multi-chamber design to prevent break-in.
- Energy efficiency
- Ease of maintenance, requiring little more than a regular clean with warm, soapy water
- Plenty of customisation options. Choose between the familiar white or give your home a more traditional look with a wood-effect finish. You can also choose from a wide range of stained-glass options for your uPVC front door.
Composite doors are rapidly growing in popularity and offer a broader range of options than uPVC.
You can choose from a wide range of colours and wood-effect finishes, so whatever look you’re going for in your home, you can find a composite door that fits perfectly.
Some of the key benefits of composite doors include:
- High security, with a strong, solid design and multi-point locking systems
- Energy efficiency
- Ease of maintenance. Like uPVC, the plastic coating on a composite door means you only need to clean it with warm, soapy water to keep it looking fresh and new
- Almost limitless options for customisation, allowing you to create the perfect look for your home.
For the traditionalist, there’s always Timber.
Timber front doors give your home a classic authenticity and is the ideal companion for a period or character property.
However, with a timber door, you have to consider the additional maintenance time and cost as timber front doors require regular treatment in order to protect them from the weather.
Security should be a key consideration when purchasing a new front door so make sure you only purchase a door carrying certain accreditations.
- Secured by Design: an initiative supported by the Association of Chief Police Officers focusing on eliminating crime through design.
- PAS 0 24: This is the gold standard for windows and doors in the UK
- BS 3621: This is the standard for single point external locks. (Most modern doors have multiple locking points and fall under Pas 0 24)
As long as you purchase a front door with the above accreditations, you will be buying with the peace of mind that your door will offer the highest standard of security for your home.
If you still wish to find out more about purchasing a new front door, or if you’d like to discuss your options with a member of our team, get in touch or obtain a free online quote.